Bootleg FindersBootleg FindersHunting bootlegs one figure at a time!

angardia
Regular Boarder

angardia

En ligne Non
Niveau 16
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 151
Localisation Ukraine

Il y a 4 ans
Muntoe (Il y a 4 ans) #1818567Added everything but xanimestuffstorex, that listing says it's officially licensed and they can get in BIG trouble if it's not legit. Plus it's a prize figure, of course it's going to look different...

I'm also not putting mzgh09 on the list because they say it's officially licensed, the seller is from Japan, and there are no known counterfeits of either item. I think the case for that Sheryl and Haruhi is just that prize figure quality varies a LOT. Maybe the picture you linked me looked slightly different and higher quality but the pictures in that listing are very close to (mfc link) and (mfc link) with the less detailed hair.

Nendoroids (or other chibi figures) and scales are usually the easiest to see if they are bootlegs but prize figures not so much ^^;

thank you!
still a lot to learn!!! :D

Ito14
Regular Boarder

Ito14

En ligne Non
Niveau 5
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 2

Il y a 4 ans
Hi guys im extremely new to figures and i was wondering are you guys 100% sure toyzany1979 sell bootleg cause they have the figure of my dreams there they say its 100% authentic.

Muntoe
Lover of cacti ♡꒰*・ω・人・ω・*꒱♡

Muntoe

En ligne Non
Niveau 45
Inscrit(e) Il y a 8 ans
Message(s) 2970
Localisation United St...

Il y a 4 ans
Ito14 (Il y a 4 ans) #1820416Hi guys im extremely new to figures and i was wondering are you guys 100% sure toyzany1979 sell bootleg cause they have the figure of my dreams there they say its 100% authentic.Do you mind providing a link or PMing me if you're uncomfortable with people looking at it? It could very well be the case that they sell authentic items now or a mix of bootleg/authentic.

Ito14
Regular Boarder

Ito14

En ligne Non
Niveau 5
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 2

Il y a 4 ans
Muntoe (Il y a 4 ans)Do you mind providing a link or PMing me if you're uncomfortable with people looking at it? It could very well be the case that they sell authentic items now or a mix of bootleg/authentic.

[ext link ]

The only thing that looks weird to me is they misspelled her name. He has alot of good feedback too but then again i trust this forums more then ebay.

ComplexCRUSH
☩Knight's of the Blood☩
Regular Boarder

ComplexCRUSH

En ligne Non
Niveau 17
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 486
Localisation USA

Il y a 4 ans
Hey just wanted to let you know that ebay seller hello_hihi now sells some authentic products, I've purchased two figmas from them and they are both authentic, granted a bit overpriced, but definitely authentic.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/26b7dc69c0d8b2000fe1b3ff65bb1f92/tumblr_n4xo19tv8b1qhuorao1_400.png

ComplexCRUSH
☩Knight's of the Blood☩
Regular Boarder

ComplexCRUSH

En ligne Non
Niveau 17
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 486
Localisation USA

Il y a 4 ans
Name of Seller or ID: oscarhim

Seller's Store Link: [ext link ]

Item in Question: [ext link ]
http://24.media.tumblr.com/26b7dc69c0d8b2000fe1b3ff65bb1f92/tumblr_n4xo19tv8b1qhuorao1_400.png

Muntoe

Muntoe

En ligne Non
Niveau 45
Inscrit(e) Il y a 8 ans
Message(s) 2970

Il y a 4 ans
ComplexCRUSH (Il y a 4 ans) #1822616Name of Seller or ID: oscarhim

The seller is already on our list, thanks though ^^ I also edited hello_hihi and took a look at the listings and it seems to be correct, thank you for sharing your experience!

Ito14 (Il y a 4 ans)[ext link ]
The only thing that looks weird to me is they misspelled her name. He has alot of good feedback too but then again i trust this forums more then ebay.

Well at that price it better be authentic...only reason I was wary was that I talked to a guy a while ago who said he received a bootleg Kan'u despite paying top dollar from it but it wasn't necessarily from that store. I'm not sure what 'face' version you're after but here's the information: item #38885 (down in comments) If you can find her cheaper elsewhere I would go for it but otherwise I don't see evidence of this seller carrying bootlegs.

ComplexCRUSH
☩Knight's of the Blood☩
Regular Boarder

ComplexCRUSH

En ligne Non
Niveau 17
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 486
Localisation USA

Il y a 4 ans
Muntoe (Il y a 4 ans) #1823464The seller is already on our list, thanks though ^^
oh darn it I thought I checked before, I'm sorry for wasting your time lol

angardia
Regular Boarder

angardia

En ligne Non
Niveau 16
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 151
Localisation Ukraine

Il y a 4 ans
Seller : s-tomonori
[ext link ]

Figure:

[ext link ]

Original:
(mfc link)

angardia
Regular Boarder

angardia

En ligne Non
Niveau 16
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 151
Localisation Ukraine

Il y a 4 ans
seller : far-and-away9098

[ext link ]

maybe im wrong or maybe there is another version of this but it looks like a bootleg to me.

[ext link ]

Original :
item #48844

Katto
SHSL Magical Girl
Administrator + Super High School Level

Katto

En ligne Non
Niveau 29
Inscrit(e) Il y a 5 ans
Message(s) 1324
Localisation Melbourne...

Il y a 4 ans
angardia (Il y a 4 ans) #1827420Seller : s-tomonori
[ext link ]

Figure:

[ext link ]

Original:
(mfc link)
This one doesn't look like a bootleg to me. A leaner though, sure.
http://media.tumblr.com/7d601def965bf263c09d71a0ba08d16d/tumblr_inline_mppd2cfU0k1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/b9718baf802c5b0076333e0afc31214c/tumblr_inline_mppd2g9rzN1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/f977dc76a89e38ec46ad536f56a43b94/tumblr_inline_mppdqnZXNe1s0iq8v.gif
Welcome to Despair~

Muntoe

Muntoe

En ligne Non
Niveau 45
Inscrit(e) Il y a 8 ans
Message(s) 2970

Il y a 4 ans
Katto (Il y a 4 ans) #1835705angardia (Il y a 4 ans) #1827420Seller : s-tomonori
[ext link ]

Figure:

[ext link ]

Original:
(mfc link)
This one doesn't look like a bootleg to me. A leaner though, sure.
Agreed, this is why I didn't add the seller to the list...plus the fact that they are also in Japan and everything else on their page is legitimate. far-and-away9098 is also located in Japan and older figures really vary in quality compared to those today. Angardia, you may want to limit your results to those made in Hong Kong and China and possibly things besides trading figures for now as you've suggested many sellers that don't seem to have any bootlegs at all. The Asuka figure you mentioned seems to be item #40245 as well (thus the lower quality), not the PVC version.

angardia
Regular Boarder

angardia

En ligne Non
Niveau 16
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 151
Localisation Ukraine

Il y a 4 ans
but how can asuka look so good in here and so bad on this sellers page?
2 versions?

kyzzyle
Regular Boarder

kyzzyle

En ligne Non
Niveau 13
Inscrit(e) Il y a 6 ans
Message(s) 28
Localisation Tennessee...

Il y a 4 ans
angardia (Il y a 4 ans) #1837815but how can asuka look so good in here and so bad on this sellers page?
2 versions?

One is a scaled, pre-painted figure and one is a trading figure--much smaller and cheaper.

SailorVeki
Regular Boarder

SailorVeki

En ligne Non
Niveau 15
Inscrit(e) Il y a 5 ans
Message(s) 405
Localisation Croatia, ...

Il y a 4 ans
Hello. I have just read through all the comments here and I have some complaints.

These 3 sellers don't sell bootlegs: ngt001, yamatoku, far-and-away9098.
At least they don't do it knowingly. And they don't do it 99,9% of the time (I'll explain under the spoiler tag - so my comment won't be ultra long).
I'm 100% sure, because I have bought a ton of things from all 3 of them. I have talked to them many times. And I look at their listings often (because they are amongst my favorite eBay sellers).

I'm also pretty sure that these 3 sellers don't sell bootlegs either: mzgh09, s-tomonori, xanimestuffstorex.
I haven't bought anything from these 3 yet, but I have seen a lot of their listings before and I haven't seen a bootleg so far.

Actually, I have NEVER seen a bootleg seller from JAPAN on eBay.
I'm on eBay daily (for the last 3-4 years) and I've seen tons of bootleg sellers so far, but they are in 95% cases from CHINA or HONG KONG (sometimes there's a seller from Germany, UK, Italy, Taiwan, Korea, Philipines etc., but that would be those 5%).
I have yet to see a bootleg seller from Japan. Since the Japanese can get their hands easily on the original figures for low prices, I really see no point in them selling Chinese fakes. Just because someone on eBay offers great prices, that doesn't make them a bootleg seller. It makes them a gem in the sea of overpriced sellers.

@angardia:
Please refrain from reporting sellers unless you are sure you're looking at a bootleg. Just because some figures have poor quality (or a wrong base), that DOESN'T make them a bootleg. (Examples: This trading figures are not bootlegs, but look like crap: item #42995 - or this: item #8462 - or this: (mfc link) - or this: (mfc link) -> my version of the last figure looks way worse, her eyes look similar to this: [ext link ], but it's 100% an official Furuta figure... This prepainted figures are not bootlegs, but look low quality: (mfc link) - or this: (mfc link) - or this: (mfc link) - or this: (mfc link)).

It's very insulting that you report great sellers as bootleg sellers, when you seem like you can't tell a bootleg apart from a low quality original figure. I'm not trying to attack you or insult you or anything, I understand some people are beginners in the figure collecting hobby and make mistakes, but I'm really upset you have reported so many sellers when you seem like you don't know what you're talking about. I mean, if you can mix up these 2 figures: item #48844 (prepainted, 22cm, ¥6800) and item #40245 (trading, 13cm, ¥450), you seem like you don't know much about different types and quality of figures. Even if you find a bootleg of that Kotobukiya Asuka (and there are no known bootlegs so far), there's no way you'll see it for $3, since the original costs $68, the bootleg might be around $18 or something.

Also, I'm pretty sure that whenever you see a little white-black picture describing how to put a figure together: [ext link ], that means it's an original figure (sellers put those papers next to figures to prove they are selling original figures - when they don't have the original box or the gashapon paper). I have never seen such a picture near a bootleg figure.

MORE INFO about ngt001 AND far-and-away9098:

View spoilerHide spoiler1. ngt001 and far-and-away9098 sometimes (rarely) have a wrong base on a figure (that's probably the case here: [ext link ] - Muntoe, you said it's the wrong prop -> it's probably either the base or the prop from this figure item #5092). Or they are missing a part of the figure (a sword or some other accessory which the previous owner lost). Muntoe, I think that's the case with those Lucky Hina & Macross figures you mentioned.

I think that they either get the figure with a wrong base from the previous owner, or they just take an extra base they have lying around and put it on a figure that is missing a base. (ngt001 has a lot of figures without a base, but he usually sells them without the base, so I don't think he puts a wrong base willingly, I think he receives them like that. Even if he does it willingly, I think there's nothing bad about that, I have seen a lot of sellers do that, and I'd personally rather have a wrong base than no base at all.)

Example: [ext link ] and [ext link ] -> he has had both of this figures for sale a lot of times, but only 1 time did I notice a wrong base (either Lacus had the green base, or Miriallia the orange one, can't remember now). I think he didn't notice or didn't know (I noticed because I'm a huge Gundam Seed fan and have studied those figures.)

Once he sent me a wrong figure (item #69670 instead of item #11379 - he had both of them for auctions at the same time), he probably didn't notice they had different bases. If he did notice, he probably made a mistake when he was sorting them and sending them. When I sent him the link of the auction I won and the pictures of the item I received, he apologized and refunded the money (he couldn't send the right figure because he sent it to the other person who won the other auction).

2. Also, if they DO get a bootleg figure sometimes, I'm 100% sure it's not on purpose (I haven't seen them list a bootleg yet though). This sellers have tons of figures, especially ngt001 (I think they buy the lots on Yahoo!Auctions for very cheap and re-sell them on Ebay), so I seriously doubt they have the time to check each figure, and I don't expect them to know which figures have bootlegs or how bootlegs of each figure look like (especially ngt001, he has so many figures that he usually doesn't write which anime they are from, he just lists them as ''unknown figure'' - he probably can't remember so many characters).

I have talked to both of the sellers many times and they seem like very nice people. Also, since they are in Japan and can easily get their hands on tons of original figures for cheap, I see no reason for them to knowingly sell Chinese fakes.

3. Sometimes ngt001's figures look like they have been customised by the previous owner (e.g. I have once bought this: item #12504, but the T-shirt was black and red instead of white and blue - I think the previous owner tried to make him into Archer (item #12485), because I doubt there are bootlegs of such old and already terrible looking figures).

4. ngt001 also sometimes puts wrong items together (like: [ext link ] - this bird should come with this figure, as far as I know: item #10149), I think that's because he gets them together from the previous owner and doesn't know they don't belong together.

So, Muntoe, please remove ngt001 from the bootleg sellers list.
I don't think he deserves to be there because of the 0,01% of the bootleg figures he might sell unknowingly. And I have really never seen him list a bootleg figure (just customised figures, figures with a wrong base and figures without accessories - but all of those are a minority, like 5% of his figures - he has hundreds of figures, you can't expect him to know how they all should look like - when he does notice something is wrong, he writes it in the description: that there is no base, that there is damage or dirt on the figure etc.).

Also, for the record: ngt001 = yamutya001 = yamutya002 (just in case someone decides to claim yamutya are also bootleg sellers).
Ngt001 uses his 2 back-up accounts when he has doubles of some figures (or when he has some other items, e.g. novels or manga).

Sorry for the long post, but I really needed to clear that misunderstanding.
Also, sorry if anything here sounds insulting to anyone, it was not my intention to insult anyone.

(And thank you for the great job of making a list of bootleg sellers.)
MàJ Il y a 4 ans #1843358

Muntoe

Muntoe

En ligne Non
Niveau 45
Inscrit(e) Il y a 8 ans
Message(s) 2970

Il y a 4 ans
SailorVeki (Il y a 4 ans) #1843358<snip>Hey no problem, I feel the same way as you about a lot of the sellers on here. Thanks for letting me know about your many experiences with ngt001 and the fact he switches bases out, I've removed the seller from the list. :)

I do not think that angardia meant to be "insulting" for just mentioning their names in here and I'm well aware the sellers she listed don't sell bootlegs (see my above post quoting Katto and angardia). I think by now angardia understands as I already mentioned the fact that she should list her search results to China and Hong Kong. The whole point of this thread is to have an open, friendly environment to point out potential sellers that may be fishy but that doesn't mean I'm automatically going to include them in the list :) I have actually seen a few bootlegs from Japan in the many years I've been in this hobby but they are indeed very rare and oftentimes the seller is not fully aware they are selling them (usually because they're dealing with so many bulk sales like ngt001). Thanks again and if you have any more bootleg sellers you'd like to add from those four years of Ebay surfing please let me know so I can add them!

SailorVeki
Regular Boarder

SailorVeki

En ligne Non
Niveau 15
Inscrit(e) Il y a 5 ans
Message(s) 405
Localisation Croatia, ...

Il y a 4 ans
Muntoe (Il y a 4 ans) #1843436 <cut>
I know that angardia didn't mean to be insulting, she was probably just trying to help (and she seems very enthusiastic about it). But I still felt offended that she mentioned so many sellers I know and like (for me it's very insulting to these sellers). Even more so because she seems like a total beginner (she doesn't own many figures and she can't distinguish between the different kinds of figures). So I don't think she should be going around reporting so many sellers until she learns how to recognize bootlegs. Which is, of course, not always easy. But there are ways. If she asked for advice, there are many people here on MFC who would gladly help. I can help her too. I just wanted to ask her to refrain from reporting sellers until she learns a bit more (or just to concentrate on China & Hong Kong, like you suggested). Otherwise there's more harm than good.

Great, thanks for removing ngt001 from the list. ♥
far-and-away9098 also sometimes has a wrong base on a figure (and murabitokun, although he wasn't mentioned here - and some other sellers, can't remember them all now). But with all of them it happens rarely. And usually only if the figure doesn't have the original base.

---------------------------------------------------
Note to everyone: When buying used figures on eBay, be forewarned that you have to know how a figure looks like, so you'll recognize if it has a different base or is missing an accessory, or has been customised etc. It happens a lot (with many sellers). But it doesn't mean it's a bootleg. And it doesn't have to be intentional. Even if it is, you have a choice to buy or not. That's why there are pictures, to see what you're bidding on. So first check user pictures here on MFC (if there are none, google them or look at other pictures on eBay or in the shops), then compare them to the figure you want to bid on.

Also, MFC doesn't have all figures (or other merch) added in the database. If what you see isn't here, it doesn't have to mean it's a bootleg. Like the item #12504 I mentioned before (the T-shirt of mine was colored in red & black, instead of white & blue - it could have been customised, or it could have been a special version or something). Example: item #10713 and item #10714 -> there are special variations of this figures, with Rei in red plugsuit and Asuka in white plugsuit. There are also sometimes characters from 1 anime cosplaying as characters from another anime (e.g. lots of Lucky Star figures - or this: item #20344 - or this: item #27972 - or this: item #99415).

I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, just trying to give people some tips & pointers, so they won't immediately think something is a bootleg if it seems different from what they have seen (it can be, but it doesn't have to be - if the seller is from China or Hong Kong, it often is). This thread is supposed to be informative after all. :P
---------------------------------------------------

Of course, I understand that the point of this thread is to point out potential bootleg sellers, and I didn't think you added them automatically (I read all posts, and I have seen that you check the sellers yourself before you add them). That's why I told you all those things about ngt001, because you thought he had some bootlegs after seeing he has a wrong base or missing accessories for some figures.

I have never seen bootleg sellers from Japan, but I don't claim they don't exist. If they do, they probably don't notice they have bootlegs mixed in with other figures. The only sellers I think sell bootlegs intentionally are those that bought them by mistake and want to get rid of them (but such sellers usually don't have tons of items for sale, and are usually not from Asia - where it's much easier to buy original figures). Or shameless bootleg sellers that sell them on purpose to poor unsuspecting people who get happy when they find something for a low price.

I actually came to this thread because I noticed some bootleg sellers on eBay yesterday and I came to check if they are on the list here (and report them if they aren't), but then I became distracted with all those genuine sellers that were suggested, so clearing their name became a priority. :P

(Sorry again for the long post. -.-'')
MàJ Il y a 4 ans #1844384

angardia
Regular Boarder

angardia

En ligne Non
Niveau 16
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 151
Localisation Ukraine

Il y a 4 ans
hey, i understand and thats why i post knowing people will look and correct me.
i dont want to insult anyone or harm.
i dont have many figures listed as some of them im still aint sure that are authentic.
but i have more figures.
also a question :
tsumujikaze-hsik sell bootlegs or he doesnt?
his from japan, but he was on the list long before i came.
anyone knows?

Muntoe

Muntoe

En ligne Non
Niveau 45
Inscrit(e) Il y a 8 ans
Message(s) 2970

Il y a 4 ans
angardia (Il y a 4 ans) #1844766tsumujikaze-hsik sell bootlegs or he doesnt?
his from japan, but he was on the list long before i came.
anyone knows?
Many of the sellers I listed were put on lists even before I was a member of this website so I took the names I found and stuck them all in the list. This is also why I mention in the first post some may not be active, may be banned, or could have changed their ways.

Looking through this seller's profile it doesn't appear they sell bootlegs either!

kevinlowl
Regular Boarder

kevinlowl

En ligne Non
Niveau 20
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 141
Localisation KL

Il y a 4 ans
So, are all that angardia has suggested gonna be checked for authenticity? (No offense, angardia)

Also, I found a weird one. His username only consists of numbers! All numbers!

Name of Seller or ID: 87627853

« Préc.   1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 23   Suiv. »

Haut ↑

Rejoignez le club pour prendre part à la discussion.