MFCMFCThis is the official MyFigureCollection.net club.

ffenris
Very Important Boarder

ffenris

En ligne Non
Niveau 39
Inscrit(e) Il y a 5 ans
Message(s) 154
Localisation The Eroji...

Il y a 15 jours
internecinewar (Il y a 15 jours) #29317984The default when you go to a page (character, event, origin) and press one of the categories (good, media, figures) is set to ENTRY (OR) in the search. This means that expanding the query using any of the other ENTRY specifications in the dropdown will give wrong or lacking results.

It should be set to ENTRY (AND).

ENTRY (AND) as a base ensures that if I make my query bigger, I get the results I need. For example, Character X ENTRY (AND) + Keyholder ENTRY (OR) + Badge ENTRY (OR) will give you all the characters Badges and Keyholders (Character X AND (OR Badges OR Keyholders)) as the logic statement.

With your current defaulting in the search, if I don't replace Character X ENTRY (OR) with Character X ENTRY (AND), all I can do is Character X ENTRY (OR) + Keyholder ENTRY (AND) (to force Character + Keyholder) and I cannot expand further without getting bad data.

I don't want to get too technical on here, but if you could do the simple change above to default to ENTRY (AND) as a base instead of ENTRY (OR), I am sure your search function won't be deemed as useless as it is currently by regular users.

I don't think it would make too much of a difference. We get one set of OR-s, so a default of OR helps if we want to expand the starting point of our search, whereas a default of AND helps if we want to expand other portions of the search. In the above scenario, if I wanted (chara X OR chara Y) AND Badge, then the Entry OR helps and Entry AND doesn't. So optimising one use case will affect the other, there doesn't seem an obvious preference one way or another.

Since OR is a new v4 feature (we had only ANDs in v3), I'm not sure this is what is ticking people off. For me, the bigger problem affecting search currently is the inability to work in non-strict mode for entries, ie we can't put in Black Lagoon as Entry (AND) in non-strict mode and automatically get Second Barrage and Roberta's Blood Trail included -- they have to all be manually added in.

On another note, I see that JAN search for entries with multiple JANs now works from the quick search bar as well, thanks! It was a while coming, searching for Cospa T-shirts just got a lot easier :P

Also, I see that a work-around has been implemented for this one (mfc link) -- so now, exact matches are bubbled up to the top over the most popular, nice. kuma, dude, when you fix stuff, do post a note on the bug report thread, it certainly beats this Easter egg hunt!

Haut ↑

Rejoignez le club pour prendre part à la discussion.