MFCMFCThis is the official MyFigureCollection.net club.

Lilie
Regular Boarder

Lilie

En ligne Non
Niveau 10
Inscrit(e) Il y a 1 an
Message(s) 72
Localisation Belgium

Il y a 22 jours
Stacycmc (Il y a 22 jours) #28932299So, I'd like to suggest some sort of revamp to the POTD process...

I've noticed that for some users, shortly after posting pics they are able to get 5-10 likes fairly quickly. Now, I realize for the established photographer on here, it's highly possible that maybe users have subscribed to their photos, so may get a notification when that user uploads more pics...BUT... here is my skepticism...
Are you are talking about the ones with big followings on facebook/twitter/instagram/tumblr/etc.. who spam their pictures to every freaking social site there is with a link to MFC. Their followers mostly only have account here in MFC to just fav and like the pictures that person uploads. These photographers don't even need to link MFC anymore on their social sites, because their zombie followers will automatically come here to fav and like their photos. Not everyone who gets POTD does this of course, but the sketchy ones always stand out because the lack of comments in their pictures. The POTD section has always had problems with some users exploiting it's flaws to get the award badges for ego boost and to fill their dopamine addiction. Me and few others have raised concerns of how this can be damaging for the community and new users who don't have a chance to get to POTD. The main point to remember is that: What pictures get POTD is not always decided by us the MFC community, rather it's too often decided by these freaking social sites outside MFC and their random users who happen to have accounts here in MFC also. The POTD system needs a fix. My speculation is that it's most likely never getting fixed because the outside linking to MFC brings traffic to this site aka people who will see the ads and that will bring revenue to the people running this site.

StacycmcFor some users, if you look at who is liking / rating their pics early on (which is the most vital time since this 100% determines if it will be shown in any capacity on the front page, which is where you will get 90% of your likes/ratings), you can't help but think it looks a bit sketchy. For example, a like from a user that's been a member of MFC for a year, has only liked 20 or so pics and 18 of them are all from person X. This year-old veteran also has no other activity on their profile...no wanted figures, no pics of their own, no blogs, nothing in their collection....it's like they simply log on to look at the pics and like all images from person X. Fishy eh? Or, say the user does appear to have activity but the last 17 pictures they've liked over the past 4 months are 100% from Person X. They must REALLY like their style huh? I realize both of these are "possible" scenarios but tell me that's not a bit sketchy, especially when the first 10 likes they get in the first 8 hours of uploading, have about half that are from folks like this.Like i mentioned earlier there's a lot of ghost accounts that come here just to fav a person X's picture. Though there are few photographers on this site that have genuine active fanbase here on MFC.

StacycmcSo...let's assume everyone is honest here and are playing fair (i.e. not pressing friends to go vote for their pic no matter what, creating dup accounts to vote for their own pics (as that's not allowed!!), or even rating other's images one star to make them lose points), even IF everyone plays fair (which I obviously question if that's the case) I still think how POTD is determined needs an overhaul. Esp if folks want to also add dishonesty to the mix (which they may or may not be doing)....Not everyone is playing fair and we have proof of that, see comments on this: picture #1751511 here's some comments from it: "It's crucial to be in the front page as the first step for more people to get to know you, that's where you start earning followers in social media via linking. When you build an audience in social media whenever you come up with new stuff you link back to mfc",

"Nah, I am the type who likes numbers. After putting up pics and saw how it ranks, curiosity lead to getting to know the system. It not something sad really. Nothing I can do with the knowledge either, it's not like I have a method that helps me gain points. No control over the generosity of MFC members. ;D I just enjoy taking pics and intend it to be that way, the badge is just a bonus.",

"I know exactly how it's calculated, that's how i could use it to my advantage. Comments don't contribute points as you believe. Along with choosing the right days to upload a photo, what time MFC refreshes its pics daily, and so on. MFC refreshes on GMT time, which is 12am UK / 8am my local time. So, for example, exactly after 8am local time I would upload a pic to race for POTD so that it has maximum amount of time for people to see it and rate it before the ranks refresh again the next day. If i upload at 9am, i have 23 hours for people to see my stuff before the home page of MFC is refreshed. If i uploaded at 9pm i only have 11 hours. A disadvantage."

There's more comments there if you wanna dig through, should give you some idea how bad the POTD system and it's exploiting has been for years(some of the major exploits like the viewcount spam have been fixed thankfully). I agree with you that the POTD system needs revamp but i'm not sure if it's ever gonna get one because the main problem is the linking outside of MFC.

Also i think even if the POTD would get revamped and outside linking to MFC prevented, the POTD would still most likely be very similar to what it's now: Mostly just bright, colorful nendoroid pictures in rules of third composition :-D.

Stacycmc
Regular Boarder

Stacycmc

En ligne Non
Niveau 11
Inscrit(e) Il y a 5 mois
Message(s) 20
Localisation USA

Il y a 22 jours
Lilie (Il y a 22 jours) #28936712Stacycmc (Il y a 22 jours) #28932299
There's more comments there if you wanna dig through, should give you some idea how bad the POTD system and it's exploiting has been for years(some of the major exploits like the viewcount spam have been fixed thankfully). I agree with you that the POTD system needs revamp but i'm not sure if it's ever gonna get one because the main problem is the linking outside of MFC.

Also i think even if the POTD would get revamped and outside linking to MFC prevented, the POTD would still most likely be very similar to what it's now: Mostly just bright, colorful nendoroid pictures in rules of third composition :-D.

Well, so I admit I also post my pics to Reddit...with a link here, but all that nets me is a higher view count which for POTD, counts for nothing. Is just easier than also uploading the same pic to Reddit or whatever. I will also say I'm pretty certain I don't have a following...LOL, esp anyone willing to create an account on a site they don't use just to vote for my pics...LOL (not me anyway, perhaps others solicit that, not sure).

My suspicions were honestly leaning more toward users creating duplicate accounts to upvote their own pics or having their friends go like every single pic they post. I mean I can pull up two or three accounts right now from "likers" on recent pics, and there is literally NOTHING on their profile except liked pics all from the same user. I mean, that's just questionable... I also see what appears to be active users, yet when you look at their "liked" pics...the last 20 are from one user (perhaps they're just really good friends, supporting one another????). Just seems a little fishy is all, but like I said...it is possible they are just big fans of that person's work or good buddies. The other thing I noticed users rating a pic one star, when it's clearly not a one star pic...maybe not 5 stars or the best pic out there, but CERTAINLY not bad enough to merit a one star rating and negative points....especially when they conveniently have a pic of their own in the running, so my assumption is some folks will even down vote other's pics to help ensure theirs wins out on points and makes it to page one.

In my opinion, the legit MFC users literally have more than enough power to fairly determine the POTD's....and that these users can easily outweigh the votes of those playing dirty, but NOT the way POTD is handled today....just because the majority of MFC may not even see your picture unless you make it to the main page. I definitely think the honest votes will far outweigh the fake accounts or zombie votes if the visibility is there, but ONLY IF the users have the opportunity to see the pics (without having to click around too much to look for them) As right now, you don't need that many likes/ratings early on to get on the front-page (which is how POTD is done today....get enough early likes in to ensure you get #1 slot by the time POTD is determined...after that it's pretty much a wrap for the most part - although there are always exceptions).

LOL...I do agree though, this site LOVES the Nendo's though!!! I definitely see the "likes" are favored toward cutesy photos, esp of Nendos more times than not...

Anyway, my suspicions could be just that..suspicions and have no merit...but like I said, whether folks are playing dirty or not, it doesn't change the fact that the POTD system definitely could use a revamp. POTD shoudn't be decided by such limited visibility, it should be very visible, from the start. Right now you have to click POTD, then filter over to the next page of photos to see the upcoming items. Most folks aren't going to do that, they'll check out the few pics on the main page, especially if it's the POTD slot, i.e. the huge pic on the front (that's easy...). Only folks that actually upload pics pretty regularly, i'd wager...even know much about how POTD even works or how to go through the upcoming ones.

Oh well, here's to hoping they read all this and make some tweaks in the future!
MàJ Il y a 22 jours #28937834

mintbunny
The Geeky Bunny
Regular Boarder

mintbunny

En ligne Non
Niveau 22
Inscrit(e) Il y a 7 ans
Message(s) 613
Localisation MD, USA

Il y a 22 jours
So are subscribers who have top comments turned off going to stop seeing them anytime soon? Can a mod or admin say anything even if it’s I don’t know? A figure added has a top comment I personally find annoying and I would like to not fucking see it anymore.

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

En ligne Non
Niveau 51
Inscrit(e) Il y a 7 ans
Message(s) 135
Localisation Belgium

Il y a 22 jours
mintbunny (Il y a 22 jours) #28946993So are subscribers who have top comments turned off going to stop seeing them anytime soon? Can a mod or admin say anything even if it’s I don’t know? A figure added has a top comment I personally find annoying and I would like to not fucking see it anymore.

Was that a thing for subscribers (and VIB and +) only ?

But I concur that it's kinda annoying to see those top comments (most of the time pictures and gif) and after that you have 5-6 messages for shops that are bump all the time, kinda hard to follow and find new comments in all that.

mintbunny
The Geeky Bunny
Regular Boarder

mintbunny

En ligne Non
Niveau 22
Inscrit(e) Il y a 7 ans
Message(s) 613
Localisation MD, USA

Il y a 22 jours
Siona (Il y a 22 jours) #28955070Was that a thing for subscribers (and VIB and +) only ?
But I concur that it's kinda annoying to see those top comments (most of the time pictures and gif) and after that you have 5-6 messages for shops that are bump all the time, kinda hard to follow and find new comments in all that.

I thought it was, I was subscribed for a while when top comments was implemented so I can’t say for sure.

Funny thing is, I thought maybe it was because the settings were in V3 and anything saved wouldn’t save on V4 pages. Well, I have ‘hide partner ads’ checked and that works. So now I’m assumimg it’s just because of the name change? I know nothing about coding so I don’t know how hard it would be to change that. I want 2 things, selected comments to disappear and the rest of the damn site to be V4.
MàJ Il y a 22 jours #28955794

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

En ligne Non
Niveau 51
Inscrit(e) Il y a 7 ans
Message(s) 135
Localisation Belgium

Il y a 22 jours
mintbunny (Il y a 22 jours) #28955794Siona (Il y a 22 jours) #28955070Was that a thing for subscribers (and VIB and +) only ?

I thought it was, I was subscribed for a while when top comments was implemented so I can’t say for sure.

Funny thing is, I thought maybe it was because the settings were in V3 and anything saved wouldn’t save on V4 pages. Well, I have ‘hide partner ads’ checked and that works. So now I’m assumimg it’s just because of the name change? I know nothing about coding so I don’t know how hard it would be to change that. I want 2 things, selected comments to disappear and the rest of the damn site to be V4.

Not sure either but for the partner ads it's for subscribers only (and maybe mods/adms) as a VIB I can't select that option.
But if this one still works, no reason for the top comments to still be there.

ugendo
( ´-ω・)︻┻┳══━一
Regular Boarder

ugendo

En ligne Non
Niveau 16
Inscrit(e) Il y a 3 ans
Message(s) 290
Localisation MI, USA

Il y a 22 jours
Yeah I'd really like for the site to just be all v4. v4 is annoying enough without it being updated piece by piece, months apart.
EDIT: REGRET
MàJ Il y a 21 jours #28956908

Siona
Very Important Boarder

Siona

En ligne Non
Niveau 51
Inscrit(e) Il y a 7 ans
Message(s) 135
Localisation Belgium

Il y a 21 jours
Would it be possible to display the calendar for paid, shipped and date in the ordered/owned section by weeks and not with a 10 days line ?

KewlAlex
Regular Boarder

KewlAlex

En ligne Non
Niveau 6
Inscrit(e) Il y a 1 an
Message(s) 1
Localisation Californi...

Il y a 21 jours
will we ever get a official app for iOS and android?

ugendo
( ´-ω・)︻┻┳══━一
Regular Boarder

ugendo

En ligne Non
Niveau 16
Inscrit(e) Il y a 3 ans
Message(s) 290
Localisation MI, USA

Il y a 20 jours
I used to use notifications to quickly get to things I was subscribed to like splits, etc. but that is totally shot now. Do I seriously have to go through manager now? It doesn't look like I can sort it by latest update. I didn't think we could possibly lose more functionality but it appears I was wrong.
Edit: looks like you can sort by latest update. I only have to click 5 extra times than before! Yay!
MàJ Il y a 20 jours #28993257

4Arnd
4ア一ンド
Administrator

4Arnd

En ligne Non
Niveau 28
Inscrit(e) Il y a 7 ans
Message(s) 2553
Localisation United Ki...

Il y a 19 jours
KewlAlex (Il y a 21 jours) #28977504will we ever get a official app for iOS and android?

Nope, V4 suppose to provide universal functionality.
http://myfigurecollection.net/pics/b/mfc180x80.png . https://en.facebookbrand.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/FB-fLogo-Blue-broadcast-2.png . https://cdn.cms-twdigitalassets.com/content/brand-twitter/en/jcr:content/par/c01_column_1596992668/col2/b04_asset_download_m.img.500.medium.1469476604231.jpg .

nikkoda
ミカ大好きだよ
Regular Boarder

nikkoda

En ligne Non
Niveau 12
Inscrit(e) Il y a 3 ans
Message(s) 35
Localisation Michigan,...

Il y a 18 jours
Correct me if I'm wrong, I never got an answer in the help thread, but can there possibly be a way to unrate figures/goods/media without re-adding them? Seems like it should be a given.

Myondaze
Regular Boarder

Myondaze

En ligne Non
Niveau 15
Inscrit(e) Il y a 4 ans
Message(s) 3
Localisation USA

Il y a 17 jours
Hi can I suggest making a toggle tool to choose between V3 and V4 like how some sites have "request desktop view or mobile view" options so both versions can stay and we could all sing kumbaya and be happy?

murialita
Regular Boarder

murialita

En ligne Non
Niveau 25
Inscrit(e) Il y a 3 ans
Message(s) 34
Localisation Ohio, USA

Il y a 17 jours
Can a field be added to the encyclopedia pages for manufacturers that lists the average delay length for that company? As so many figures are delayed anymore, the estimated release dates are quickly becoming at best a starting point to start trying to guess when the will actually come out and at worse fairly meaningless. It would be nice if these fields could be generated programmatically by comparing the initial release dates, and the actual release dates for each figure, and then being averaged up for each manufacturer. Then we could use that information when looking at, for example, an Alter figure, and be able to say, "Ok, it would be great if this figure comes out in April, but their average delay is 4 months, so I probably won't get it until August." Of course, this may encourage poor budgeting, but I still think it would be a cool feature.
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/murialita/sign.png

agcpictures
Regular Boarder

agcpictures

En ligne Non
Niveau 18
Inscrit(e) Il y a 8 ans
Message(s) 184
Localisation United St...

Il y a 17 jours
Notifications are v4 now I guess? So now I have the option of marking all as read or not marking all as read, with nothing in between. I guess that's a feature, not an annoying pain in the bug.
Treasures untold in my Sales List 1 and Sales List 2!
http://thatjustfigures.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/jxa-online-bizcd-11-rgb_resize_40pct.jpghttp://thatjustfigures.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/jxa-online-bizcd-08-rgb_resize_40pct.jpg

Lilie
Regular Boarder

Lilie

En ligne Non
Niveau 10
Inscrit(e) Il y a 1 an
Message(s) 72
Localisation Belgium

Il y a 17 jours
agcpictures (Il y a 17 jours) #29115281Notifications are v4 now I guess? So now I have the option of marking all as read or not marking all as read, with nothing in between. I guess that's a feature, not an annoying pain in the bug.To mark a single notification as read you have to click the green bell on the left side.

victorviper
Regular Boarder

victorviper

En ligne Non
Niveau 30
Inscrit(e) Il y a 6 ans
Message(s) 125
Localisation USA

Il y a 17 jours
murialita (Il y a 17 jours) #29114659Can a field be added to the encyclopedia pages for manufacturers that lists the average delay length for that company?

From a database point of view, this could be kind of tough to implement.

What would be kind of neat would be to add one field to the encyclopedia page, and have an "announced release date" field as well as an "actual release date" field.

Stacycmc
Regular Boarder

Stacycmc

En ligne Non
Niveau 11
Inscrit(e) Il y a 5 mois
Message(s) 20
Localisation USA

Il y a 17 jours
Stacycmc (Il y a 22 jours) #28932299So, I'd like to suggest some sort of revamp to the POTD process...

.....scroll up to read the entire post......

Perhaps show the top 12 (or maybe the # is 8 or something) upcoming pics of the day, in equal size on the front page the day BEFORE a winner is determined so more of the MFC population can vote? Then have a big pic of the prior day's ACTUAL winner...?? Or maybe for the first 5 hours show them equal size on the front page, then determine the winner for POTD and show it big.... Or hell have a huge link that direct people to the upcoming POTD page that says "VOTE FOR TOMORROW'S POTD"...something to increase visibility and votes before POTD is determined. I think there could be various options in order to overcome early ballot stuffing and just let this be a little more accessible to those that don't have a following, play unfair, or just missed out on POTD by a few points (esp early on, since there's sooo few votes at that point)...

Anyway if anyone else has other thoughts feel free to weigh in. :D Would love to hear others suggestions and thoughts on this topic!

So, I first let me apologize if anyone misinterpreted my post. I will add, that I purposefully did NOT call names out in this "suggestion" thread, because my purpose here was to just state that whether folks are trying to cheat the system or not, the POTD process needs to be reworked...either way. Now, if there are dishonest folks out there, then to my point, it simply makes this process worse and further supports the need for a re-vamp.

Having said that, if you took offense to my post, started bashing my or others' pics to justify you own, or called this me "crying" then I would ask you..."why are you offended?" I named no names nor directed anyone to specific photos or posts. Are you just feeling paranoid because perhaps you are doing some of these questionable activities I made mention of? If you're not, then why get angry over this suggestion and post?

If I posted my suggestion to simply call anyone out that I think is being less than honest here, I would have just mentioned user names versus trying to remain vague. And, if I wanted folks banned or wanted to report specific individuals I thought were creating dummy accounts, I would simply report those folks to the mods/admins versus posting a generic / vague post in the suggestion thread that made NO mention of stopping this activity but instead suggested a path that I felt would just ensure the active users of MFC will get the final say.

My disappointment in the POTD process comes from days like this: (mfc link) where pics like this picture #1852854 do not even make it to page one to be voted on. That's just sad to me. This post was not for my own sake, but to help get more visibility for some of the amazing photos folks are posting, but just don't get seen by the majority of the site, because I believe if the upcoming photos were more easily accessible / visible, we'd wouldn't miss out on gems like this one. I'm in no way saying the other pics from that day were not great as well, but come on...that pic was amazing yet due to how the system currently works, hardly anyone even saw it and this happens ALL THE TIME...

Anyway, just wanted to clarify, as I know of a user(s) that took offense to this (they did not respond here however), so wanted to clarify my intent once more since I think my point for the suggestion was missed. Again however, if you are offended by my thread...I ask you why? Are you being dishonest in any way? If not, then there is nothing negative toward you in my suggestion post, in any way, and NOTHING I posted was negative toward anyone's pictures...even if the person that created the pic is cheating the system.

Thanks and sorry for the rant, but I felt I needed to clarify...

internecinewar
Regular Boarder

internecinewar

En ligne Non
Niveau 25
Inscrit(e) Il y a 3 ans
Message(s) 742
Localisation PH

Il y a 17 jours
Could we please, for the love of all things holy, have an update schedule posted up that is followed?!

It is very annoying to be mid-update and filling up all the fields of a new entry only to have the entire DB go service unavailable when you press submit.

agcpictures
Regular Boarder

agcpictures

En ligne Non
Niveau 18
Inscrit(e) Il y a 8 ans
Message(s) 184
Localisation United St...

Il y a 16 jours
Lilie (Il y a 17 jours) #29115422agcpictures (Il y a 17 jours) #29115281Notifications are v4 now I guess? So now I have the option of marking all as read or not marking all as read, with nothing in between. I guess that's a feature, not an annoying pain in the bug.To mark a single notification as read you have to click the green bell on the left side.
That actually works. Thanks!
Treasures untold in my Sales List 1 and Sales List 2!
http://thatjustfigures.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/jxa-online-bizcd-11-rgb_resize_40pct.jpghttp://thatjustfigures.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/jxa-online-bizcd-08-rgb_resize_40pct.jpg

« Préc.   1 77 78 79 80 81 82 83   Suiv. »

Haut ↑

Rejoignez le club pour prendre part à la discussion.